Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A word from the East!











No luck  - the civil affairs office did not call us yet so the adoption is still not finalized. I think  I will breathe a big happy sigh when it is all signed, sealed and delivered.


Are they really entrusting this kid to me???

We went out for a nice western breakfast and came back up to the room quick to get some documents in case "they" called. Lily had to go pee so I plopped her on the potty and went to go grab something quick - I then heard a high pitched bao bao!! or something like that. I came running and found her IN the toilet. She had completely fallen in and only her head and feet were out.  She was soaked from head to toe. I really wanted to grab a camera but thought that leaving her in there would be cruel :)  

We then went to the indoor market - crazy stuff there, the park and out for lunch.  Here are some pics for the day. You will notice that in one picture  Lily is eating with chopsticks - she did better than all of us. 

There many things that you need to get used to in China. 

1.  the toilets are like urinals in the ground and there is NO toilet paper.  Most places are westernized but some of the parks, gov.t offices and restaurants are still the old way - no an easy feat!

2.  At the park I asked to take Dylan to the washroom the lady told me to just go pee at the big tree:)  When I asked again because Lily had to go she told me to go to the same tree. This is in a very public place - but apparently the washrooms were too far. 

3.  Little kids with split pants on flash you often!!  Split pants are training pants for kids and they apparently wear them all of the time. I couldn't resist a shot of this little kids trying his darndest to get up the slide showing a view everytime!! 

4. Apparently taking up tai chi and TANGO in the park is the thing to do on a Wednesday morning.  There were at least 100 people of all ages dancing and stretching in the middle of the park - work or dancing - what shall it be?

5. The menus are hilarious.  I am sure it says something appropriate in Chinese but some of the english translations were very funny. I think the one picture has a dish and the description is...  a nice flowery fungus to talk about good friends ??? WHAT AM I EATING??


3 comments:

  1. Poor girl -- but I have to laugh at the falling in the toilet comment. Tell her not to feel bad, Brody fell in the toilet on his first day of preschool too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol... I was wondering what you would think of the squat toilets! In Vietnam, that is all they had so you had to get used to it very fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Falling in the toilet ...yes it would be funny...happy to hear she is OK!!
    When Melissa went to Japan, she also said the same thing about the toilets.

    That would be awesome to take Tai Chi every Wed. ...outside...I would LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete