Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Raising a child that has lived in an orphanage.....


Today we drove by the Beijing Railway Station and it really touched me deep in my soul. I hurt for my little girl and tears are in my eyes even as I look at this picture.  It devastates me to even think about that fateful day on August 30th.  This is the place that she was found when she was two weeks old.  I don't have much to say on the topic becuase it saddens me. In my heart I believe that her mother must have struggled greatly with that decision and thought it was better for Quiyu to be placed in an orphanage rather than with her own mother.  With God's help she has become a part of our Forever Family to which I will be eternally grateful for.  I pray for that mother that she has a sense of peace knowing that Lily is loved and cared for. 




There are things that are beginning to pop up that I wonder or know that it is a part of the orphanage life.  

1.  The first one is not too bad - I can't complain. She puts herself to bed.  I say bedtime and pat the bed and she will look at me smile hop in roll over stick two fingers in her mouth and go to sleep. Now we have changed that to lots of hugs and kisses, a ton of "wo ai ni" I love you, and good night prayers. But still a child that is happy as all get out to nap and sleep - I'm not complaining.

2.  The next one is a bit of a concern. She EATS!!! and I mean eats. We are at the point where she outeats all the boys and adults too.  I am keeping a close eye on her as I think either she does not know the feeling of full (perhaps she never got full) or she has never tasted such flavourful food or she is using it as a coping mechanism to what is going on in her life.  Not sure yet but I am limiting the amount of food that's going in. At lunch our guide kept giving her plate after plate and I was having a fit. I didn't want to offend anyone so I didn't say anything but she literally ate more than Ken. I thought for sure she would be sick - but she's sleeping it off. 

3.  When I undress her she folds her own clothes. I didn't realize what she was doing at first but yep that was it.  I guess when there were 1,000 children living in her orphanage she didn't have anyone to do it for her. 

I try not to dwell too much on her life in the orphanage as it will really upset me, however, I do need to watch for signs and ensure she is adjusting properly and letting go of some of the things that mom is supposed to do for her.  



1 comment:

  1. Eating too much is better than a picky eater who wont eat at all.
    Wait til she tries spetzla with gravy. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete