Tuesday, April 7, 2009

How is Lily doing???



I get this question several times a day. Is she adjusting, attaching, etc.  Lily is doing GREAT!! We have done so many things together and she really is awesome. I took her to see her first movie and she loved it - hence the 3D glasses in the last post.  She does well at church, in restaurants, taking the boys to school each day, doctors, dentists and visiting friends.  I am sometimes shocked at how well she is handling all this.  This cetainly does not mean that things are PERFECT!!  Today for instance she had her first little time out.  She was set on the chair and I sat by her the entire time. She has a very strong will and I needed to let her know what she did was wrong. She had hurt me and all she needed to do was apologize.  Well.......... after 25 minutes of screaming and hitting the chair she finally decided to apologize.  When she was done she was happy as can be, kissing me, playing etc.  I know some people say this is normal 3-year old stuff but this is also about attachment.  Some signs of that we need to look out for (which could also be typical stuff, but many together can cause concern) a very strong will, extreme independence, not wanting to be comforted, hurting others, screaming etc.  In reality, she has only been with us for 1 month and in Canada for 2 weeks.  So really she is doing really well and attaching well - it does not mean that we don't have things to work on. We don't leave her without at least 1 parent,  we discourage other people from holding her (especially in stressful situations) and only allow mom, dad or brothers to console her when sad or hurt.  This is our first go at it so we are still reading and researching and trying to do our best :) 

Hopefully we are doing something right:)


1 comment:

  1. dear mrs.E it's me rawan can you e-mail me at rawwony2000@hotmail.com anyway lily looks sooooooooooo cute

    ReplyDelete